Residence Life


Residence FAQs: Policies

When are quiet hours in the residence halls?
Quiet hours for the residence halls are Sunday through Thursday 10pm-9am and Friday & Saturday 12am-9am.  During holiday breaks or days off, weekend hours will be employed if a class day is not following.

What are the meal plan options?
All students can choose between the 10, 14, & 19 meal plans.  Residents of Catherine Dunn Apartments and the graduate student letterwing also have the option of selecting a 75 meal (per semester) block plan.

What can I decorate my room with?
Feel free to add your personal touch to your half of the room, but when hanging posters, pictures, etc., use only adhesive picture hangers or a special poster tape (the brand 3M generally causes the least amount of damage). Nails tacks, plastic tape or adhesive tape that will damage walls, woodwork, doors, furniture or fixtures are prohibited. Displays of offensive or suggestive materials, scantily clad people, drug paraphernalia, illegal street signs, or alcoholic beverage signs are not permitted in public areas including doors and hallway walls. Signs may not be placed in room windows. Collections of alcohol bottles and cans are not permitted.

What about candles?
As Clarke has experienced a fire in the last 100 years, we are serious about fire safety! For reasons of health and safety candles, incense and other open flames are not allowed in the residence halls.  Candles may be displayed if the wicks are removed. We encourage students to incorporate other forms of scent enhancement, such as reed diffusers, air fresheners, etc.

Can I have a pet?
Only fish are allowed and must be in a tank that is 10 gallons or less.

Can I smoke in the Residence Halls?
Clarke University observes the State of Iowa Smoke-Free Air Act effective July 1, 2008 which requires that smoking be banned on all property of public and private colleges/universities in the state. Smoking of tobacco or non-tobacco products is not allowed in any of the residence halls, nor is it allowed on Clarke University property.

Is alcohol allowed?
Alcohol is not allowed for students who live in Mary Jo and Mary Benedict Hall, regardless of age.  Alcohol can be in the personal room of students in the Apartment or Mary Frances hall who are 21 years of age or older.  However, possession and consumption are limited to rooms/apartments where all residents are 21 years of age or older.
Residents are held responsible for their behavior while under the influence and will be held accountable for their actions if they break campus rules or city/state rules off campus while under the influence.

Does Tobacco-free mean I can’t chew?
While residents are permitted to have chewing tobacco in the residence halls, policy prohibits the use of chewing tobacco.  This includes items like spit cups/bottles, etc. that would be used to actively ‘chew’ tobacco in the residence halls.

  • Support Clarke - Spring
  • Arts at Clarke 2016
  • Transfer Fall 2015