The Learning Center in the MARC (Margaret Mann Academic Resource Center) provides student-centered academic support to all students through the services of a learning specialist, academic coaches, academic trainers and SWAG (Study With A Guide) leaders.
- College Study Strategies course: One-credit course that guides college students in discovering, developing, and formulating effective college reading, learning, time management, test-taking, and study processes within the context of their existing college courses. Taught by a learning specialist and available for all students with less than 90 credits.
- Academic Training: By-appointment-only mentoring where trained students help other students in developing and using effective study, time management, note-taking, learning, and reading strategies.
- Academic Coaching: Subject specific assistance offered by arrangement for individuals and groups. Currently, coaches are available for math, science, accounting and business, nursing, philosophy, literature, psychology, CIS, and Spanish.
- SWAG (Study with a Guide): Peer-facilitated study sessions for Biology 115, Chemistry 107, 110 and 111, and Math 220. SWAG leaders are trained by the learning specialist and work in partnership with the professor to plan and lead course-specific study sessions. Scheduled times vary by semester.
- Individual support with strategies: Consultations with the learning specialist that help students develop appropriate tools and strategies to suit learning styles (available for all students).
Hours of Operation
The Learning Specialist is available Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Students may walk in during the advertised hours or call, e-mail or use Starfish for an appointment.
SWAG, Spanish Charlas, Academic Coaching and Academic Training extend beyond the learning specialist’s hours and vary by semester. See the MARC pages in the Source or on Moodle for all scheduled resources or to make an appointment with an Academic Coach or Trainer.