We are a Catholic, co-educational, liberal arts university founded in 1843 by the Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Dubuque, Iowa. Clarke educates students at the post-secondary level in the liberal arts and sciences, the fine arts, selected professional programs, and graduate programs.
We, the faculty, students, staff and administration are a caring, learning community committed to excellence in education. We provide a supportive environment that encourages personal and intellectual growth, promotes global awareness and social responsibility, and deepens spiritual values.
To Foster Our Mission:
WE ENCOURAGE personal and intellectual growth by:
- challenging ourselves to grow, experiment, and explore
- fostering critical thinking and informed decision-making
- requiring articulate communication of thoughts and ideas
- setting high standards for quality
- utilizing the best tools available for learning
- providing skills for success in the contemporary world
- developing creativity, aesthetic awareness, and appreciation
- encouraging personal initiative and leadership
- promoting physical well-being
- instilling a passion for life-long learning.
WE PROMOTE global awareness and social responsibility by:
- supporting and caring for one another
- recognizing the responsibility and necessity to serve others
- reaching out actively to serve the community
- respecting individual rights, privacy, and diversity
- raising consciousness regarding contemporary issues
- emphasizing peaceful resolutions to conflict
- modeling collaboration in leadership
- bringing about positive changes as responsible members of a world community.
WE DEEPEN spiritual values by:
- supporting the Catholic tradition
- enhancing one's own search for the Sacred
- applying spiritual values in our lives
- challenging ourselves to understand other traditions
- experiencing community celebrations of faith.
THEREFORE, we envision our graduates to be persons who believe in and demonstrate:
- intellectual rigor and curiosity
- critical analysis and informed decision-making
- spiritual depth and values
- aesthetic sensitivity and cultural appreciation
- active community involvement
- contemporary professional skills in field of choice
- personal and social responsibility
- acceptance of diversity in people and ideas
- self-knowledge, self-confidence, and self-motivation.