Make Yourself Happy
Your mind is a powerful thing. If you allow yourself to keep a positive state of mind, your attitude will follow.
There are many ways to develop positive attitudes and behaviors. Here are a few to help you get started.
- Listen to your internal dialogue. When faced with a negative thought, turn it around to make it into a positive thought. (For example, “I am no good at this!” could be changed to, “Maybe this is not one of my strengths, but I’ve tried my hardest, and I am skilled in many other things.”)
- Interact within positive environments and with positive people. Do things with people who reinforce you in a positive way. Go places that have special meaning and positive memories or associations.
- Volunteer. Do something that will help others. This will give you a sense of fulfillment and make you feel happy inside.
- Get pleasure out of the simple things in life. Laughter is one of the most powerful mood enhancers. Allow yourself to laugh.
- Permit yourself to be loved. Everyone deserves to be loved. Everyone is loved.
Take Action for Positive Results
Your actions and reactions toward other individuals can determine the end result of the interaction. For example, if you are receptive and respectful to individuals’ opinions, they in return could be more open to what it is you have to say.
It is important to take responsibility for your actions, thoughts and feelings. No one can make you feel any way that you do not want to feel. In turn, accept that no one is perfect and that includes you. Be proud of your accomplishments and the hard work you’ve done. Use the moments when you think you have not succeeded as learning experiences.
Examine your daily routine and the effects it has on your life and most importantly your attitude.
Examine Your Attitude with These Questions
- Do I have beneficial, positive relationships?
- How do I start my day? Do I have a routine that promotes positive energy to keep a positive attitude all day long?
- Am I aware of my state of mind and its changes? If I am in a negative state of mind, am I able to change it?
- Is my living space a positive environment? If not, what can I do to make it a positive environment (examples: change the lighting, add color, display inspiring quotes and/or clean)?
Students seeking to develop these skills and the positive relationships that support them can obtain additional resources and guidance from Clarke University Life Coaching and Counseling Services.
Interested in social psychology and the power of the mind on our attitudes and behaviors? Enroll in Clarke’s Psychology program.