Triangle Copy careerplus-badges careerplus-degree Created with Sketch. careerplus-employers Created with Sketch. careerplus-faq Created with Sketch. careerplus-individuals Created with Sketch. careerplus-local-experts Created with Sketch. careerplus-pricing careerplus-registration Created with Sketch. careerplus-responsive Created with Sketch. careerplus-self-paced Created with Sketch. careerplus-stackable Created with Sketch. + Facebook LinkedIn PinterestRSS Instagram Twitter Vine

Curricular Practical Training

What is Curricular Practical Training (CPT)?

“…Curricular practical training must be an ‘integral part of an established curriculum’ and is defined to be alternate work/study, internship, cooperative education or any other type of required internship or practicum which is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreement with the school.” {8 CFR 214.2 (f)(10)(I)}

At a minimum, a qualifying curricular practical training will carry academic credit, be listed in the school’s regular bulletin of course offerings and have a faculty member assigned to teach the course. It is particularly important that any employment experience required by the course be instrumental to achieving a curricular academic objective.

Who is eligible for CPT?

  1. After being in F-1 status for one full academic year, students may engage in curricular practical training.
  2. Students must participate in CPT before completion of all required coursework.
  3. Only students in good academic standing may apply for CPT.

Do I need a job offer in order to apply?

Yes. In order to apply for CPT you need to provide:

  1. Official verification registration of an internship for academic credit. Please see Career Services staff for the appropriate paperwork.
  2. A job offer from your employer.

The employer’s job offer letter must:

  • Be on letterhead which contains your employer’s name and address.
  • Specify your job title and briefly describe the work you will do.
  • Specify your dates of employment and the number of hours per week you will work.

How do I apply for CPT?

  1. Make an appointment with the Clarke Primary Designated School Official (PDSO).
  2. Bring to the appointment:
    1. Your original (not a photocopy) Form I-20
    2. Your passport
    3. Your Form I-94 (the white card issued when you entered the country)
    4. The appropriate supporting documents from Career Services and your employer