Frequently Asked Questions from Transfers

  1. What GPA do I need?
    2.5 cumulative GPA as a transfer student
  2. Will my old GPA transfer?
    No. Credits will transfer to Clarke, but grade points from other institutions will not transfer.
  3. What credentials must I submit?
    Application for admission (paper or on-line version), official final high school transcript with ACT/SAT scores and official college transcripts from all institutions attended.
  4. How will I know how many credits transfer?
    The Registrar Office at Clarke will provide a credit evaluation upon receipt of the application for admission, official high school transcripts, and transcripts from all previous institutions attended. This credit evaluation will be mailed to you and also posted on your MyInfo account.

    As you complete additional college coursework, credit evaluation updates will be available through your MyInfo account. 
  5. What is the application deadline?
    Clarke does not have an application deadline; we are on a rolling admission process.
  6. What is the maximum number of credits I can bring in?
    Provided the student is in good academic standing - 64 semester hours earned in an accredited two-year institution; 90 semester hours earned in an accredited bachelor’s degree program. Courses with grades lower than C- do not transfer.
  7. What happens to credits that DON’T transfer? 
    Credits that do not transfer to Clarke will remain recorded with the previous institution you attended.   
  8. How many hours do I need HERE to graduate? 
    The final 30 hours of credit must be taken at Clarke. Transfer students must successfully complete at least 15 credits in their major program of study at Clarke University.
    Total hours to completion will be determined after the official transcript review.  Graduation requirements include completion of:  a) a minimum of 124 hours, b)  all general education requirements – including proficiencies and c)  all major requirements.
  9. Are scholarships available?
    Yes, transfer academic scholarships are available. Students are eligible for these awards by applying for admission. Additional scholarship money is available for transfer students who are members of their community college’s chapter of Phi Theta Kappa.
  10. What is it really going to cost me? Per year? Per semester? 
    Tuition, fees, and room and board information can be found on the Student Accounts page.  
    File the FAFSA to learn more about the true affordability of Clarke University. Visit the Financial Aid page for more information: 
  11. What if I already have a bachelor's degree?
    Students who have earned a bachelor’s degree may enroll as a second degree student.  Students must be admitted to a major program other than the program of the original degree, earn at least 30 hours beyond the original degree in residence at Clarke, and complete all of the requirements for the major. General education requirements are waived.
  12. May I earn credit by exam?
    Clarke University students may earn up to 30 semester hours of credit through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) or Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES). Credit is awarded for each CLEP or DANTES examination after a student has earned an equal number of credit hours at Clarke.
  13. Does Clarke accept military credit?
    Clarke University accepts military transfer credit based upon the standards of the American Council on Education (ACE) for military training and previous college coursework.

The Next Step (Right Side)
Request Information
Visit Campus
Apply Now
Commit to Clarke

 Admissions Team


Contact Admissions at: 

Admissions Office
Clarke University
1550 Clarke Drive
Dubuque, Iowa, 52001

Twitter Icon 2 Facebook Icon Flickr Gallery Vimeo Gallery

  • Support Clarke - Spring
  • Arts at Clarke 2016
  • Transfer Fall 2015