Clarke University has moved into the 21st century with an impressive tradition of excellence in education. Established in 1843, Clarke is named for an Irish woman, Mary Frances Clarke, who founded a congregation of religious women, the Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (BVMs). When the community arrived in the river town of Dubuque in 1843, it was pioneer territory; though the city has changed radically in succeeding years, its vibrancy and Mississippi river beauty continue.
The antecedent institution of Clarke University, St. Mary's Academy, was established in 1843 by BVM sisters, three years before Iowa became a state. After occupying several locations in its early years, the school was re-named Mount St. Joseph Academy and moved permanently in 1881 to its present location. The academy became Mt. St. Joseph College, a liberal arts institution, in 1901 and was chartered by the State of Iowa in 1910. First accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools in 1918, the institution was named Clarke College in 1928 and in 2010 became Clarke University.
In 1884, Mary Frances Clarke wrote to her community of sisters, almost all of whom were teachers: "Let us…keep our schools progressive with the times in which we live…In teaching, we must…endeavor to make [students] think." These directives of over a century ago have continued to inspire a faculty and staff of dedicated women and men to offer a challenging and growth-producing education to all Clarke students.
Academic excellence has persisted as a goal in a variety of new programs and degrees that have been developed over the years. Graduate studies were added in 1964 and evening programs for non-traditional students began in 1968. In 1979, the university became a co-educational institution, admitting both women and men in full-time undergraduate programs.
On May 17, 1984, a devastating fire destroyed four historic campus buildings. Undaunted by the disaster, students hung a banner the next day proclaiming "Clarke Lives!" This spirit sustained the campus community through a period of vigorous rebuilding. In October 1986, a dedication was held for a new library, music performance hall, chapel, bookstore, administrative offices, and central atrium, which now constitute the core of the campus. Throughout the years, the campus has expanded and improvements have been made to accommodate enrollment growth. A new recreation and sports complex opened in 1994; an apartment-style living complex opened in 1998; an all-encompassing Student Activity Center opened in 2000; a technology-rich learning space was completed in the lower level of the library in 2012; and a state of the art science facility opened in 2013.
Throughout its growth and change, Clarke University has been "progressive with the times." As new programs have developed, Clarke has continued to challenge and support students, who are the heart of the institution, in their intellectual and personal growth. In an institution known for its long tradition of excellence in education, students, faculty, and staff work together to maintain and strengthen that heritage.